Brett Weston
[Photographer, b. 1911, Los Angeles, d. 1993, Kona, Hawaii.]

 Photography is 90% sheer, brutal drudgery! The other 10% is inspiration!! 

Doug and Mike Starn
[Artists, b. 1961, Absecon, New Jersey, live in Brooklyn, New York.]

 The only way for the creative mind to function is through anarchy. Art can’t flourish while bound to the concerns of previous generations. Photography, as a rule, has too many rules. 

Andy Warhol
[Artist, b. 1928, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, d. 1987, New York.]

 I just [take pictures] because the camera is something to carry around in my pocket. 

Pieter Hugo
[Photographer, b. 1976, Johannesburg, South Africa, lives in Cape Town.]

 [Photography’s] true seduction lies in its foot in reality. It still has the pretense of being a quasi-document. 

Sally Mann
[Photographer, b. 1951, Lexington, Virginia, lives in Lexington.]

 The hardest part is setting the camera on the tripod, or making the decision to bring the camera out of the car, or just raising the camera to your face, believing, by those actions, that whatever you find before you, whatever you find there, is going to be good. 

Lewis Baltz
[Photographer, b. 1945, Newport Beach, California, d. 2014, Paris.]

 It might be more useful, if not necessarily more true, to think of photography as a narrow, deep area between the novel and film. 

Walker Evans
[Photographer, b. 1903, St. Louis, Missouri, d. 1975, New Haven, Connecticut.]

 The secret of photography is, the camera takes on the character and personality of the handler. 

Aleksander Rodchenko
[Artist, designer, architect, b. 1891, St. Petersburg, d. 1956, Moscow.]

 Photography has all the rights, and all the merits, necessary for us to turn towards it as the art of our time. 
quotes 9-16 of 879
first page previous page page 2 of 110 next page last page
display quotes